The 11th Baltic Sea Science Congress “Living along gradients: past, present, future”
The biennial Baltic Sea Science Congress (BSSC) was established 20 years ago, joining the research communities of Baltic Marine Biologists, Baltic Marine Geologists and the Conference of Baltic Oceanographers and is, until today, the main international forum addressing a broad interdisciplinary spectrum of Baltic Sea research.
Giving particular attention to the special characteristics of the Baltic Sea and comparable enclosed marine systems as well as to the challenges of an integrated management, the conference addresses four main session topics:
- Session 1: Dynamics of gradient systems
- Session 2: Processes that affect coastal sea systems
- Session 3: Past and future changes
- Session 4: Coastal seas and society
Four cross-cutting sessions will stimulate the scientific exchange of more specific topics:
- Cross-cutting session 1: Hypoxia
- Cross-cutting session 2: Major Baltic Inflows
- Cross-cutting session 3: Monitoring / Observation systems
- Cross-cutting session 4: Influences of the catchment area
The “Joint Baltic Sea Research and Innovation Programme (BONUS)” supports the conference since 2009. We expect about 300 participants from all Baltic Sea countries and from comparable other coastal marine systems meeting 2017 Rostock.